Unix to Linux database migration.

us055410

I've been tasked with starting a broker on a database that has been copied from UNIX Solaris 9 - to LINUX - 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Nov 8 21:
37:35 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux - . I got a clean copy of apps and database, I modifed services files that needed it. I can go to the progress directory and start a single user session. But I can't start a broker on the database. The startup process creates a .lk file but no broker service. a $DLC/bin/pro {databasename} returns to the prompt. Nothing registers in the {database}.lg file. $DLC is set to /data/qad/dlc101b.

cj_brandt

probably have to go through dump and load - the byte order is probably different. I know it is between HP and Red Hat.

RealHeavyDude

Copying databases on the OS level between different OS is not supported. Full Stop. You need to dump the database on the source OS and load it in the target OS. You can do that either in ASCII from via the data administration tool or binary with the proutil because the binary dump files are platform independent too.

For performance reason I recommend you to use binary dump and load.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

Forgot: The difference between Windows and Linux is smaller than the one between Linux and Unix - although this might not seem so obvious. It has something to do with the processor architectures and the Little Endian vs. Big Endia - but I have to admit that I don't know all the details.

Bottom line: Even if you are able to start the database after copying it from one platform to another, that does not mean that the database is okay and you may face silent corruption that bites you years after the migration - as one of my dearest friends had to find out the hard way ...

repostor

Agree,
Even if you have native SQL ASCI format of the database, there could still be BLOBS or similare information inside the database with different Endian inforrmation.
So you have to validate this before.
We did similare conversation on anthoer database from Windows to Linux, but on that architecture there is not much different (same Endian)

Hugo Allaerts

Would it be an option to do a PROBKUP on HP-UX and then a PROREST on RedHat ? Since binary dump/load is compatible between the 2 OSs, why not Probkup/prorest ?

cj_brandt

No you can't use a backup made by probkup to move between different architectures. Same reason you can't do an OS copy between different architectures.

RealHeavyDude

It has been an enhancement request for ages to make to Progress backup files platform independent. AFAIK, they are considering it with every major release ever since, but somehow it never made it into it.