Single vs Multi volume db

vijayakiran.m

Dear Tom,

I want to get the difference b/w the single and multi volume db [in progress] . i want the step by step conversion from single-multi volume db.if u have any pdf can u sent me the link to my mail id.

Regards,
vijaya

Dear team,

I want to get the difference b/w the single and multi volume db [in progress] . i want the step by step conversion from single-multi volume db.

Regards,
vijayaDear team,

I want to get the difference b/w the single and multi volume db [in progress] . i want the step by step conversion from single-multi volume db.

Regards,
vijayaDear team,

Regards,
vijaya

RealHeavyDude

First of all, you don't say anything about the Progress/OpenEdge version you are using and the OS this is running on.

Did you have a look in the database administration guide that comes with the product?

Just for the record: Starting with Progress V9 there are no single volume databases anymore. Each V9+ database, even if you just use the schema area - which you should not contain any data anyway, is a multi-volume database.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

cj_brandt

Wow you must be using version 7 or 8 ??
Create the new void multivolume structure.
Use procopy to copy the single volume database into the new multivolume structure.
You could also take a backup of the single volume structure and restore into multi volume.

Your request probably caused Tom's mind to crash with a DIV/0 error. He is already warning people on 10.2x products that they better start heading to 11....

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Today all Progress databases are multi-volume databases. You only see single-volume databases if you are working with unsupported releases like version 8 and earlier (and multi-volume has been available since, I think, v6 but maybe earlier).

Way back in the dark ages, when Progress shipped on 5.25" floppy disks and 100MB was a huge database, a database consisted of a dbName.db file and a dbName.bi file. All of the data and all of the indexes and all of the schema and control information was in that one, solitary, dbName.db file.

As Progress applications became successful in the market place and customers grew and grew and grew 100MB wasn't huge anymore -- the possibility of a gigabyte of data in a database started to seem like something that might happen.

Luckily for us Progress was thinking about these things and introduced multi-volume databases. This feature allowed us to define many extents (or "volumes") that the data could go into. So now the dbName.db file is just a place where some control information and list of other files is stored. The data and indexes are actually in dbName.d1, dbName.d2 and so forth. You define your extents in dbName.st prior to creating the "void" multi-volume db.

So start by looking for "prostrct create" in the online manuals or in your local help (the "?" icon in your Progress or OpenEdge installation if this is Windows).