secondary login broker-basic question

hi all,
Greetings from Richards

could you please explain me
1)why we are going for secondary login broker
2)in which situation we will use it?
3)if the database is up and running,can we start the secondary login broker?if it means how?

please explain me in detail....am confused in this concept

regards
Richards

palthe

hi all,
Greetings from Richards

could you please explain me
1)why we are going for secondary login broker
2)in which situation we will use it?
3)if the database is up and running,can we start the secondary login broker?if it means how?

please explain me in detail....am confused in this concept

regards
Richards

1) sometimes you may want to separate processes. E.g. if you want to extract data from the database through an odbc connection (datawarehouse purposes, or someting like that). This also could be a different type of broker, say SQL, while your primary broker is 4GL.
2)above
3)on-the-fly: no. you have to restart the database to have the secondary broker take effect.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You can start the secondary broker when the databae is up. You actually do this everytime you start up a database: First you start the primary broker and next you start ea secondary broker.
You are not obliged to do this within some time frame. So you can start up your database and the next day you can start up your secondary broker. This is possible as ong as you database is configured the right way: -mn -Mpb

To start up a database broker simply issue a proserve command.

Casper.

palthe

You can start the secondary broker when the databae is up. You actually do this everytime you start up a database: First you start the primary broker and next you start ea secondary broker.
You are not obliged to do this within some time frame. So you can start up your database and the next day you can start up your secondary broker. This is possible as ong as you database is configured the right way: -mn -Mpb

To start up a database broker simply issue a proserve command.

Casper.

You're right, secondary can be done on the fly.
Big woops...

ERPgal

Hello,

Can multiple brokers use the same parameters file? I assume there will not be a problem but I want to confirm.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Hello,

Can multiple brokers use the same parameters file? I assume there will not be a problem but I want to confirm.

Sure, .pf files can be shared. But not all parameters make sense to share -- if, for instance, you're specifying -ServerType 4GL in the primary and the secondary broker is supposed to be for SQL that might not be the best approach. OTOH you could override something like that on the command line (or in another .pf) since in the event of conflicts the last value specified for a parameter is the one that is used (personally I find that confusing and I wouldn't do it on purpose).

ERPgal

Sure, .pf files can be shared. But not all parameters make sense to share -- if, for instance, you're specifying -ServerType 4GL in the primary and the secondary broker is supposed to be for SQL that might not be the best approach. OTOH you could override something like that on the command line (or in another .pf) since in the event of conflicts the last value specified for a parameter is the one that is used (personally I find that confusing and I wouldn't do it on purpose).
Thanks Tom
I gave it a whirl last night and I had some issues.

I detailed my issue in this thread http://progresstalk.com/showthread.php?t=114511.