Scrollbar on browsers?

dayv2005

Ok, recently i have been doing a lot of work with outlook. ONe of the current projects im in at the moment is retrieving all of someone's appointments in outlook and then putting them to a temp table. Then once they are in the table a browser displays them.

I noticed this problem with a few other of our browsers as well and it's no big deal but it really annoys me.

Once the browser is displaying all the records in it. The scroll bar is small as though there were many records. Mainly on the init of the browser. And then when i click on the scrollbar it instantly gets smaller to the size it is supposed to be. Is there a fix out there for this or am i doing something wrong?

doreynie

you should set the max-data-guess property of your browser to the number of records you will put in the browser before you realize the browser

dayv2005

you should set the max-data-guess property of your browser to the number of records you will put in the browser before you realize the browser

I think it's hard to explain like when then first time i scroll down, It shows additional 10 blank records.

I don't think that Max-data-guess is causing this.

I just get it done with the brute force method.

Code:
/* Makes the scrollbar pre-measure itself to the full record set */
APPLY "END" TO BrowseHandle.
APPLY "HOME" TO BrowseHandle.

Usually, it's so fast as to be invisible. For huge browses, a few extra seconds of hourglass just blends with the regular loading time.

Ouch. That really is brutal!

Instead of opening the query associated with the browser with FOR EACH blah-de-blah, use PRESELECT EACH boo-de-doo. The browser then knows the full scope of the query's result set and the scrollbar is accurate.

Depending on how big the table is, this can be slow for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's all that bad. You have to get into the 20,000 records and up range before it starts to take more than one or two seconds.

Anyway, it's a nice tool to have for certain situations. Kind of like a sledgehammer. ;)

EDIT - OK, tried out PRESELECT and it works like a charm. What's the downside besides overhead?

I tend to get a bit philosophical when a stiff breeze hits me, but why is PRESELECT not the default? In all the examples on this site of browse queries, why do they use FOR EACH and not PRESELECT?

EDIT 2 - Researched my own answer, and PRESELECT would work so easily with my dynamic browse. I guess it's back to the sledgehammer...