Regular App need to change

tdi

Progress Fan
Hi there!

Hoping you're great!

I have this question:

I have this app (something by the 500's files, *.w, *.p, *.i) that i need to change, by adding a table and a few fields, and them moving some fields from one table to the new one, changing a lot of windows and reports, and voila, there you have a new app, just to hit the market!.

The thing is, i xref'ered the compilation of the original system trying to find the ocurrences of the former fields, and start changing the code, before removig the old fields from the former table, because otherwise, i would not be able to open the window in the UIB.

The problem is the xref.txt file is 264,600 lines and 13 MB.
I have managed to cut it in 8 smaller files and trying to use them individually. Besides this, i have a reference manual (132 pages, 75% of them have 2 pics on each page) of all (hopefully we don't missed some) the windows that comprise the application.

I use RogSoft's Notepad+, (c)1996 Rogier Meurs, to handle the files and do finds to the code, but before i start, i would like to find some one that has faced this situation before, to see if he/she has some recomendations so this task can be better acomplished.

Please, any advice would be very apreciated!!

(do you think this would be a good chance to try RoundTable lite, or something like it?)

Thanks.

Octavio Olguin
TDI
Moroleon, Gto. Mexico

P.S. i would get a palm pilot as a bonus if i do this by Christmas, what you think?

phirst

Hi Octavio,

I have had some major schema changes to handle with in the past.
I had all the programs under UNIX and I used a 'sed' script to change the table and field names. This worked fine for 95% of the programs. The other 5% took a few days to sort out, the compilation showing us the errors.

Needless to say my sed program created a COPY of the programs, so I could easily check the originals for other errors.

I had about 1500 programs and about 100 field changes. I had the application running in less than a week, we were 2 programmers.

Good luck for the Palm.

Cheers,
phirst.

tdi

Progress Fan
I hope this could be that easy! :)

Hi there.

The problem is more than field rename, i must adjust the former presence of the field to change the table it came from, if it is necesary, if not, it has to keep the same...
it's more difficult,

Thanks any way.

P.S. i use windows ... only, (i'm a poor man..)

Octavio Olguin