Proutil and truncating large BI

Paul Buckle

Hi All,

Really need some quick help on this if at all possible.

Noticed that backups are suddenly 2Gb bigger than usual, and most of that is due to the BI file now being 2Gb in size. This is causing some issues, although nothing fatal right now, I want to get it back to normal.

I understand I can use the proutil command line tool. I tried it out on our Test database, but am having some problems.

I used it as follows: proutil.bat D:\epicor904\db\mfgsys -C truncate bi

I get the message: **Cannot find or open file D:\epicor904\db\Test\mfgsys.db, errno = 5. (43)

The database and appserver(s) are shut down, and the file definitely exists in that directory. Also, I have and am logged in with local admin rights on the server (also tried with domain admin).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Paul

Sounds like you may have been running from another drive? Try running it from the db directory. Also, there is a 60 second wait by default. Use the -G parameter to reduce your wait time.

Paul Buckle

Thanks for the reponse Mike.

I tried running it from both the Open Edge bin directory, and from inside the directory I specified in the command (which is where the .db and all other files are stored for that database). Also, it's erroring out, so it's not even getting to the wait. It's not seeing or opening the .db file.

I used it as follows: proutil.bat D:\epicor904\db\mfgsys -C truncate bi

I get the message: **Cannot find or open file D:\epicor904\db\Test\mfgsys.db, errno = 5. (43)
This doesn't make sense. You are truncating the BI file for the "mfgsys" DB in the directory <D:\epicor904\db> from the first line, but the message you're getting from THAT command is looking for the SAME DB file in <D:\epicor904\db\Test> ??

Make sure you're using the Proenv window and <CD /D> to <D:\epicor904\db\Test> if that is where your test DB is. Then you should be able to run the command... <proutil DBName -C truncate bi -G 1>

Paul Buckle

Mike, my apologies. I missed the 'Test' directory out of my first line.

I think I have found the problem. It is permissions related, and an unfortunate side-effect of some work carried out on the network last week. I have got it working on the Test system, and will be taking the production system down tomorrow evening in order to do the same. I'll post back if it fails!

Thanks for your help.
Paul