No server for database

edlea

I'm trying to run a 4gl procedure in batch mode using mpro. However whenever I run the command I get the error message:

There is no server for database /usr2/1062c/sys1/live/db/live. (1423)

This is the correct path to the database (called live.db) and there is definately a server running for it. How do I specify the server to use, also where do I specify the username and password to use?

The procedure I'm running contains just this:

def stream data.
output stream data to /usr3/data/item.txt.

for each item no-lock:
export stream data delimiter ";"

item.Sort-name
item.Prod-group
item.Pot-desc
item.Shape-desc
item.long-bot-name[1]
item.long-bot-name[2]
item.long-bot-name[3]

jamesmc

To specify a username and password that is configured within a database you can use -U and -P command line parameters (both paramaters must be uppercase).

Don't know what is causing the no server error though. Are you sure that a server exists and that the other user isn't using the pro command to connect? Another option would be to change into the directory where the .db exists and just try to mpro live from within the home directory of the database. If there is a server then that shouldn't fail.

HTH,

James.

edlea

I know the server is running because there are lots of users accessing the database. Why I can't is a mystery

1423 error is usually caused by trying to connect to a database that is running a different version of Progress than the one you are using to access it.
Can you check your settings?

Regards,
Gabor

edlea

I wouldn't know how to check my settings. All I know is that the version of Progress is 8.3B running on HP-UX 10.20. How can I check other things?

Hi,

On the server side the easiest way to check your Progress version is to look into the log file. It has an entry like:
09:01:42 BROKER 0: PROGRESS Version 8.3B on AIX. (4234)

On the client side you can test it
- in your code using 'display PROVERSION'
- or in your script you can use
echo $DLC
or
$DLC/version

Regards,
Gabor

edlea

Thanks, I got there eventually. After what you said about version differences I checked, and the mpro in $PATH was version 7.foo. So a quite find / -name mpro later and I found one in a directory called dlcV8/bin which does the job nicely.

Thanks again.