How to Monitor client connection

Von

We have some application running on OpenEdge 10.0B and Windows platform. Something in the application is failing and the connection is not release. After sometime the application will fail to accept any new client connection because the maximum number of client connection has been reach and we will need to restart the App server. I have try to increase the maximum number of client connection but it only reduce the frequency we need to restart the server.
When I query the App server status using asbman I can see that the Active client is increasing very fast, e.g we only have less then 40 user login but I can see that the number of active clients is showing more then 500. Is there any way we can find out which workstation or user is consuming all these connection? Or is there a better way to diagnose this?
Thanks a lot.

Patrickorigo

Hi, Don't know if this solves your problem, but the main reason for unreleased connections is that there are processes running in the Window client. If a Progress instance is finished the wrong way, it may disappear from the screen but is still visisble in the Task manager under the Program folder. Sometimes it's not even visible under the program folder, you can only find it under the process folder (in the Task manager). There you can see it as prowin32.exe. If this spooky process is killed, then it will be released from the database.
Sometimes this spooky process can hold a record lock which prevents the user from updating the application on the screen.

To prevent spooky processes I start my windows session by killing all prowin32.exe-processes that has other process-id (pid) than my own. I use a program called pskill.exe (freeware, found on Google) and this keeps my windows client free from this spooky processes.
One drawback with pskill is that it is considered as a virus by some anti-virus-program.
/Patrick