Answered System tables (_table, _field, etc.)

rolguin

Hi,

I am looking for Log changes at some particular tables and before develop some Log system for each table I am trying to see if OpenEdge does not have anything embedded.

Do we have any chance to track changes made at any record/table using System tables? Or does OpenEdge have any Audit system for each table, please?

Thanks,

Regards,
ROlguin

dulecki

What's your OpenEdge version? Modern versions (10.2 and higher, I think.. maybe 10.1) have the ability to audit database changes natively. With older versions, you need to roll your own auditing capability.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
There is nothing in the system tables (metaschema or VSTs) that will track changes to application tables.

OE Auditing is in 10.1A and above. You can use it to track changes based on audit events and policies that you specify. Refer to the Database Administration manual for your release and in the Protecting Your Data section there is a chapter on OE Auditing. There is also info in the Core Business Services manual that you will need to review.

Note that if you take this approach you will need to write some code to make sense of your audit data. You should create an audit archive database to hold the audit data long-term, and that's where you would do the reporting. You would need to understand the user roles associated with auditing (Audit Administrator, Audit Data Reporter, Audit Archiver, etc.) and assign those roles to users. This stuff is all in the manuals. Good luck.