Serving db on Dropbox

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi folks - here's one for you to ponder. Is it possible, do you think, to serve up a Progress db on a server and make it available over dropbox to users? Does anyone have any ideas how one might go about this? I'm just playing around with th possibilities of dropbox. It's a theoretical application for now.

RealHeavyDude

All I know 'bout Dropbox is that you can place files there.

What do you have in mind? Is it that you want to place the database files there and then start a database server on some machine that has access to these files via dropbox?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

Staff member
Basically I'd like to serve up a the db locally, but access the database as a client from elsewhere. So the database resides on my machine at work, but I can connect to it from home.

RealHeavyDude

Sorry, but I don't get what it is you want to achieve. As far as I understand services like dropbox all you can do is place files on them, plus on some of these web spaces you can even share them with your "friends".

In order to access a running Progress database you need to connect either via TCP as remote client or via shared memory as self-service client. I don't see any role for a file share service in this game as in your scenario as, IMHO, you need a TCP connect. I don't think any file share service may allow you to access TCP ports that are otherwise not accessible ...

Cringer

Staff member
That makes sense - and confirms what I was suspecting. Sorry I confused you! :)

RealHeavyDude

Don't be - you're welcome!

Sometimes I just need to ask back to understand what one's intention was. You know, English is not my first language ... so please bear with me.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I doubt that Dropbox itself is a solution, but in addition to the suggestions made by others, you could consider a Cloud implementation. There will be a lot about this at Exchange next week, I'm sure and Cloud support is a major theme of 11.0 for next year.