Saving object in db?

Kalan

Hi All,

Could any one pls clarify whether we can store object data type in Openedgae 11.2 DB? (i.e. like integer,char, decimal - anyway to store user defined object data type?)

Thanks.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
No I don't think so, but if you explain what you are trying to achieve someone might have some bright ideas! :)

RealHeavyDude

You can't just store any object in the database. Therefore you would need to serialize it and store the serialized verions of it in either a CLOB or BLOB. I think that is true for all traditional RDBMS. You would need an OO database for that. As far as I remeber Progress once had one and it was called ObjectStore, but I do not know whether it is still around. Nevertheless, I don't think there ever were, is or will be a native ABL interface.

I did never do such thing but according to https://community.progress.com/tech...loudarcade/984.oeri-object-serialization.aspx OOABL objects are serializeable. So you could give it a try.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Kalan

Many thanks RHD, @Cringer: I heard that its possible to store object in Oracle, hence just thought to check about Openedge DB. Cheers :)