Need help looking at data.

maday15

I need to be able to look at data in a table but I have no way of getting to the data except a binary dump. I have Progress 10.1B, on an AIX server. I am testing rolling forward the ai files on a new test database that was restored from another database, but the app. I am using is not set up to access this new database and I need to verify that a record is on that table (it wasn't there before). Is there any way to read a binary dump?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I really doubt that the only option is a binary dump. Perhaps you should tell us a bit more about your environment.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You could write a progress program to do that or if you don't have a development license then setup the database so that you can query it with SQL....

Casper.

maday15

I am really a DB2 DBA, and I don't do much with Progress except ensuring backups are done, adding storage areas when needed, and keeping an eye on space. I have no way of writing a program, and I can't query the table because the only tool I know of is SQL Explorer, that the developers have, but for some odd reason I can't get anyone to put that on my pc. So I am left with a binary dump.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, I don't think you are going to get there from here, so you need to go back to the beginning and find out about getting someone to write you some ABL or doing a SQL query. If you are on OE10, the SQL client is a free download and you can use any one of a number of free SQL query tools. If you are below 10, then there is a license required that is not free.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Everyone is right.

But if you're lucky and the binary dump file is small enough and the keys for the record that you want to verify are character values then you might be able to use a hex editor (like "od") or the "strings" command to determine if it is there or not.

If that's really all that you need to know.

taqvia

Have u loaded this binary dump into database tables. If yes then a simple script can be written to fetch out the required data in readable format.