MERANT 3.60 32Bit Progress SQL92 v9.1D on 64Bit Winows 7

AlexTheDroog

I'm using the MERANT 3.60 32Bit Progress SQL92 v9.1D system DSN to make a connection to progress for my VB.NET 2010 application. Before I run the app on a new client I add the following reg entry to create the ODBC connection.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\Progress91D]
"Driver"="V:\\Progress\\bin\\PGPRO915.DLL"
"Description"="Vantage6.1"
"HostName"="apps"
"PortNumber"="6000"
"DatabaseName"="mfgsys"
"LogonID"="sysprogress"
"StaticCursorLongColBuffLen"="4096"
"DefaultIsolationLevel"="READ UNCOMMITTED"
"ArraySize"="50"
"DefaultLongDataBuffLen"="2048"

This works great on 32 Bit systems but in Windows 7 64 Bit when I add the reg file it says successful but nothing is in the registry or the front end interface.

Stefan

To create a 32-bit ODBC data source on x64 you must use the 32-bit ODBC administrator %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

The registry location in your example is the location for 64-bit ODBC data sources, after having created a 32-bit ODBC data source you can find it in the registry under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI

AlexTheDroog

I located the 32Bit utility for the ODBC drivers you mentioned but the option to configure MERANT 3.60...does not exist. I looked around online to download it but cant seem to find anything. Can I copy some DLLs from an XP machine to get it to show up in Windows 7?

RealHeavyDude

One of the apparent problems is that 9.1d is ancient, obsolete and unsupported ( courtesy of Tom Bascom ) - we are talking about Software dating back to 2001. Plus, if you expect reasonable SQL capabilities of the database I can only urge you to upgrade to the most recent OpenEdge version. In Progress V9 there is a separate product called SQL92 Access ( which is included in every other run time version like Client Networking or the Personal Database ). If I were you I would either install one of these instead of fiddling with the DLLs manually. BTW, did I mention that 9.1d is not supported anymore on any platform?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.