HELP -> making a new empty db

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin_w

Hi,

I'm looking out for someone who can help me out, i've tried by do it myself but that doesn't work :confused: So here is what i would to do:

- I have a program that is running a db under progress 8.3B on a Windows 2000 Pro.

- The program db contains demo records and i wanna sweep them out.

- The have told me to do this by dumping the df file and making a new db. But the problem is that i'm don't know anything about progress and that my version of progress not allowed me to change the db.

- I have found out that the information is been stored by a db and bi file, so i zipped the 2 files and put them online http://users.telenet.be/kevin_website

- Now i'm looking for someone who can create a new db with the same structure (tables, schema), so that i have a empty database without the demo records that are in it now, and can sent it back to me (my email is described on the page).

I hoped someone could help me out i'm really doesn't know it anymore and i have try it now for severall weeks.

Thanks

vinod_home

Hi,

What product of progress 8.3B do you have. What kind of license do you have.

When you click on Start -> Programs -> (Progress xxx). what all options do you see..

kevin_w

Hi,

I have progress 8.3B, but when i open a db i get a message that "because of the version of progress the data administration is in read only mode" or something in that kind.

kevin_w

I'm also have seen that when i open the cfg file of progress that it says that it's registrated to the company wich i use the program from, so i think it's only a version that just have enough rights to run the application and notthing more.

cgdev

A simple thought.

You can delete the data from the tables as you are saying the data inside the database is demo data.

You can try doing the following steps.

1) Take a copy of the existing database.
2) write a simple code to archive and delete the data using meta schema details.
3) you need to compile and run the program as you are saying you have a run-time version of progress.

I hope this helps you..

Thanks & Regards,
Gurudev.

vinod_home

Hi Kevin,

You have two threads of the same thing going.. (let me correct that.. you have 7 threads on the same thing). I will stop replying to this thread. So hopefully you get a solution to the other thread.

kevin_w

Yes i know but i'm still not any step further so it's maybe nice if someone could do it for me, because everybody is talking about a very easy and quick way but i don't think it is so because nobody would do it for me :confused: .

Thanks !

So i'm still looking forward to someone who could do this simple job for me, because i can't ...

vinod_home

Hi Kevin,

Storzum had already given you a very good hint on what to do. That should have helped you on what you had to do..

for each table-name:
delete table-name.
end.

for this to work you need to replace table-name with the actual table-name like customer, employee or whatever you have in your database. To help you on that, run this

for each _file no-lock where not _file-name begins "_" :
display _file-name.
end.

Now see the out of this and if for example it shows "Customer" as one of the results. Based on what Storzum mentioned earlier, you would do...

for each customer :
delete customer.
end.

Note: When I say run the code, you need to start an editor session of progress which is connected to the database.

hope this help you, It would also help if you close all your threads and have only one open.

Status
Not open for further replies.