bi file got deleted-basic question

hi all,
in my database am not having any ai file.in case if my bi file got deleted means how can i recover in the same location where my database is?
because i am having the backup of the database,so what i did is,i just deleted the database and i copied the .st file into someother location and then i used the prorest utility to recover it.

i can able to recover the database in someother location but how i want to recover in the same location?
explain in detail and with needed steps?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you want to restore in the same location then go ahead and do so.

Personally, I never restore on top of the damaged database. That damaged database could end up being my option of last resort if the backup is no good. If I restore a bad backup on top of the damaged db then I've wiped out any hope.

If the .bi file is missing you may need to delete all of the remaining pieces of the database first. You might get away with putting a dummy .bi file there and then doing a "prostrct unlock" before the restore. Give it a try on a test database and see what happens.

You might want to consider signing up for a Progress DBA course. You'd get a lot more information in a much more convenient form.