AI files, variable vs. fixed extents.

maday15

Should ai files be variable, fixed, or a combination? Currently I have 12 extents on our prod database and all are fixed except the 12th one, which is variable. Every three hours we switch our ai files and copy the "full" ai files to another filesystem. This has worked fine for us, until this morning. There was some work going in that I assume was not thought to be a big deal, since they put it in on a Wednesday morning, but it cause a lot of logging, the current ai file was #11, after it filled up it went to extent 12 which is variable, well 12 kept on growing and caused the filesystem to become 100% full. Luckily the database stayed up and I ran our normaly switch script which released the space and we were fine but it made me start thinking that this could happen anytime there is a large amount of logging.

So my ideas are as follows:

1: Have all fixed lenght extents (probably add a few more just in case), I'm thinking about this because if the 12th extent would have been a fixed length it just would have switched to the next extent and I think we would have been okay, until the next scheduled switch, except in instead of 1 or 2 full files we would have had probably 9 or more.

2: Increase the space in the filesystem. But not sure if this is okay or not, because technically if something huge happens this could still be a problem.

3: Increase the frequency of the ai switch intervals from every 3 hours to maybe every hour, this could probably be put in place with #2 above.

4: I read somewhere here on another post of having all variable length ai files, and there was a power point on ai files, but I couldn't open it, I don't have powerpoint 2007 (I have 2002), so I don't know if that is the problem or not. So not sure why or all variable lengths would be a good idea.

Any ideas? Please?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
IMHO "all variable" is better for most people most of the time.

Yes, you should switch more often than every 3 hours -- that is a very long time to wait.

Either way if you're running out of space you should add more. (But why are you holding it back? That sort of thing is usually a red flag indicating a poorly configured SAN...)

MS provides a free PPT 2007 Viewer

maday15

Thanks Tom. We haven't added space yet because we never had a problem until now. I will be downloading the powerpoint viewer so I can view the presentation. Thanks again!