Answered What is the purpose of a CRC check on database trigger

progdev1

Hi All,
I know the whole idea by CRC checks, to ensure that if the database has been changed since the code was last compiled that a front end error is generated. But can anyone advise me what the purpose of a CRC check on a database trigger is. This has a checkbox which appears to be optional? I noticed in the sports2000 database there is no CRC check on the triggers. Do I need the crc check? Why is it optional if I do need it?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
That is to make sure that the trigger code you provide doesn't get changed by someone else.

You would enable this if your trigger Does Something Very Important That Ought Not Be Messed With. If your triggers are of no special consequence (like those in sports2000) then you would not take such steps.

progdev1

I understand what you are saying. Basically if the the trigger does something basic like update a sequence then you don't need a CRC check. However if it does something complex like change several tables and is a very big sequence, e.g the trigger being changed would be likely to damage the database. You would need a CRC check enabled. Okay I understand now. Thanks for your help.