what is all this pollution

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Spammers on the Internet are not a new thing. They have discovered our happy little home and we need better tools to keep them out.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
The main reason you're seeing so much is that I've been on holiday ;)

Cringer

Staff member
@Chris Kelleher Is it possible to add the Spam cleanup option on the approval queue page? I can delete the posts easily enough in one go, but I can't send them to the spam cleanup without visiting each thread individually.

andre42

Would it make sense to appoint more Spam moderators? I'd be happy to help.

Alternatively, could you remove or reduce the Report-timeout if I report more than one post?

Cringer

Staff member
Thanks andre.
Reporting the posts is helpful when it's inside a thread rather than a thread of its own. But I go through every new post anyway so that's not so much of an issue.
Moderating the spam is tedious but not too hard, and if Chris sets all new users' posts to go to the moderation queue, along with the option to bulk spam report, then it should actually get easier from a moderation standpoint.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It looks to me like a lot of these spam messages are the users' first message.

We have to look at the account sign-up process. Or, failing that, the permissions for new users.

Cringer

Staff member
Not sure what's been going on but we've had hardly any spam since the weekend's onslaught.