v8 to v9

mxh59

Hi,
My team has recently upgraded from v8.3 to v9.1d09. Applications that have been running for several years, with no changes for the upgrade, are now failing left and right. Particularly if we are in a browser and double-click a row to perform a change page to a frame with a detail viewer in it. The second page will paint and we can see the data, but then the application and the progress session crash completely. We have tried to set client startup parameters to either what we think is more than sufficient or their maximum values. We are running the database on UNIX HP-UX 11 servers, the clients on Windows 2000 O/S. We do use TabPro30 from Farpoint Technologies. Also there has been some customization to the Progress objects within the adm folder. We have carried this folder forward into v9. An observation worth noting, the pages run by themselves perform perfectly. It is only when we start jumping to secondary pages that we see the applications crash. In v8 we can jump around all day long and the application remains running. If anyone can offer advice I surely would appreciate it.
Thank you in advance,
Matthew

We moved our app from 8 to 9 and had lots of crashes too.

We started on 9.1c and have applied each service pack then went to 9.1d and applied each service pack in hope the crashes would go.

We are currently on 91.d09 and not all the crashes have gone and some new bugs have been introduced. In fact we find each services pack brings a new browser and frame scrolling bug.

I've given up reporting the problems to Progress because I NEVER get any satisfactory help.

Sorry this is no help, but at least you now your not alone.

StefGay

Hi,

did you try the "-extravc" session's parameter. It's not well documented but it can resolve the problem on the double-click on a browse. (I remember a white paper on the subject V8 to V9 which can explain the behaviour of this parameter).

Regards.

Stéphane.

dev1

Same problems

Hi,

We had the same problems, users had sessions open, would select something and suddenly the whole session would close, no error messages nothing. After checking the db log file all we could find is error 794.
We were on 9.1 and migrated through all the service packs and have upgraded to 9.1e, but still have the same problem.
We are told its something to do with the ocx's we are using ... are currently investigating the issue.

Win2k

Lieven

Progress 9.1E crashes on AIX unix too

Same here: we migrated from Progress 8.3 on AIX 4.3.3 to Progress 9.1E on AIX 5.2 and the server simply crashes every 3 days.
Hardware & AIX are fresh and OK.
We never had a crash on Progress 8.3.
I'm trying with smaller -B as others have the same problem with a large -B.