Starting Databases Automatically

Debtco

Could someone help me please?

I have a Unix script that consists of the following commands:

proadsv -start

dbman -database -start dbname

nsman -start -name nameserver

asbman -start -name appserver.

When I run this script manually everything starts correctly. I would like to run this automatically, however when I run the script via a Unix cron, the script runs but none of the above successfully start.

Any suggestions please.

jongpau

When I run this script manually everything starts correctly. I would like to run this automatically, however when I run the script via a Unix cron, the script runs but none of the above successfully start.
What do you mean when you say "successfully start"? Do you have error messages in the various log files or does nothing at all happen? Do you have a log of the cron that you can look in for possible other error messages?

First thing I would check is to make sure that the required environment variables (such as DLC etc) are set and that the actual Progress bin directory is in the cron user's path, or to change the startup commands so you start everything with the full path. Not sure whether that would solve it, but they are just some suggestions of things you could try.

Good luck,

Paul

dscheel

Can you post an exact copy of the script and the syntax you are using in the crontab.

I think I can help you out.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I hope there is more to the cron script than that, since it would certainly fail if the DB was already up.

Rohan4progress

Could someone help me please?

I have a Unix script that consists of the following commands:

proadsv -start

dbman -database -start dbname

nsman -start -name nameserver

asbman -start -name appserver.

Any suggestions please.

Hi Debtco,

You can try the following thing,
1. Try with DLC path included in the script.
2. Check whether the script has proper permission to run thru the particular user
3. Try to log the script as u can find what is happening when it is running from Unix cron.

syddie

Hi debtco,

Have you thought of creating a service for your databases?
We use Redhat, and have a service created for starting our 6 databases.
It makes life easy as you can specify the dbs to start last on boot up and first on shutdown. Allows you to stop, start and get status of the dbs using a simple command e.g service mydb status, or service mydb restart.

Ken.