[Stackoverflow] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] How to set the ABL PROPATH for procedures in a JAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon

I have a Java (Groovy) CLI application that also uses some Progress ABL code. The application when built (gradle) is packaged into an executable JAR* for distribution. The r-code (compiled ABL code) is included in this JAR. I have tried setting the PROPATH a number of different ways, but I can't get it to find the r-code in the JAR. Does the r-code have to be extracted from the archive before it can be used even though the application itself is running from inside the JAR? Running the built JAR from the source code directory works fine, but I think that's just because the source .p files are in the relative path on the filesystem. How can I do this?

Is a better approach to package the r-code with the JAR in a tarball for distribution instead of including the r-code in the JAR itself? For example:

Scenario 1:

Code:
app.tar.gz
  -app.jar
    -Java/Groovy classes
    -Bundled dependencies
    -rcode/*.r

Scenario 2:

Code:
app.tar.gz
  -app.jar
    -Java/Groovy classes
    -Bundled dependencies
  -rcode/*.r

Scenario 1 leads to the PROPATH question described above, but I haven't tested Scenario 2.

*I.e. use $ java -jar app.jar to run the built application. I'm planning to include a startup shell script with the JAR for easy startup. The JAR main class is compiled Java which, depending on input arguments, will run one of the ABL procedures as needed.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.