Splitting Webspeed Architecture

kryptex_android

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how the entire WebSpeed Architecture works. Because of lack of available information, I am having to turn to you guys for help. I've defined two different websites that will communicate with their relevant WebSpeed Broker. Because of changing circumstances, I'm having to use two different machines for two different solutions. I'm trying to follow the article below:
Progress KB - Setting up distributed WebSpeed Config; Connecting WS Msngr to NameServer & WS Broker

My solution is:
- Web Server with WebSpeed Messenger.
- Machine 1 with NameServer and Broker with solution 1 source code
- Machine 2 with NameServer and Broker with solution 2 source code

With that in mind, I'm trying to define two different ubroker.properties file to simulate the eventual separate servers. Unfortunately, because of lack of experience in this area I seem unable to split them up. The brokers are still referring to the same ubroker.properties file.

Maybe I understand the architecture wrong or am following the wrong articles. Would appreciate any help in pointing me to the right direction.

Cheers

GregTomkins

Not my area, but, I do not normally see multiple ubroker.properties files on a single machine. As far as I know, you just can't do that, you'd have to use different servers. We have VM's everywhere so for us this is no big deal.

Exception: we have a few machines with multiple Progress installations so we can test different versions. In this case, I believe each version ($DLC) uses its own copy. So you could probably achieve what you want by copying the entire $DLC into a $DLC2.

zerovian

You don't need to split them. When you're ready to transfer stuff to machine two, just create a delta.properties file with the broker details for machine 2, and copy it across. Use mergeprop to apply the delta to machine 2's ubroker.properties.

the adminserver only supports a single ubroker.properties file at a time, there is a switch you can pass to proadsv command to request it use a different one, but you only get one at a time. If you're on unix you could have two separate installs of openedge, but that's just extra work to reconfigure all the ports and such to avoid conflicts.