Run program as a service

wa4qms

Has any one had experience with createing a progress program to be run as a service on a windows server box? We have need to have a program run in the background that can only run in a windows setting, and needs to run 24-7. Dennis

D.Cook

I've been wanting to do this as a low priority for a while now..
On UNIX I just append an '&' to the end of the command and this executes it in the background. Windows supposedly has an equivalent using 'start /b' but this doesn't actually work.

So to actually run as a service, check out this link. I might try this later too..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

In step 5, you'd probably link to _progres.exe and add a pf file or other parameters.

wa4qms

Thanks for the information. I will have to look at that later. We are running SX enterprise and it has a report manager that runs in the backgound on the UNIX side. We are also running the GUI version with terminal services running. I need to have a progress program run in windows every 15 minutes or so that will create PDF's using Crystal Reports. These PDf's will then be pushed to UNIX box where we will use UNIX's mail command to email them. I will be talking with my IT person tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

-Dennis-

wa4qms

Well, here is what we have found out.
Between our windows system and UNIX system a security problem shows up. We don't want to map the UNIX drive so we created a work around. Assuming you already have access to the unix box you can set up a batch file to make the connection, run the program, and then exit. This is what we ended up doing because having the progress program run in the background as a service just took up too much resources. It only needed to check for the existence of files, run a conversion, and then email the results. We then took that batch file (.bat) and created a scheduled task on the server to run every 15 minutes from 8 am to 4:30 pm. Here is the batch code used:

net use z: