Restoring specfic company in Progress

pledbetter1369

We have a division (Company) that made an error in Progress and wants to avoid re-keying a month's worth of data. For a given backup or dump for a multicompany instance of Progress, is there a way to restore or load data for just one company into a particular database?

Thanks in advance.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
"Progress" is the name of the company that provides the database & programming language (sort of like calling SQL Server and VB "Microsoft"). You are running some sort of application that uses those tools. It might have been developed in house or, more likely, it is a commercial package. I mention this because a lot depends on the application that you are running and how it was implemented. If we know the name of the application someone may know a simple way to restore and extract a specific company.

Otherwise the basic process is probably something like:

1) restore to some spare disk space.
2) write some custom extract code to dump the problem companies data.
3) write some custom code to replace the flawed data.

(and to do that you will need access to development tools or a consultant who has them available).

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
What is your exact problem.
I understand that you have a backup, but you only need part of the data to be restored?
It is possible to dump only partial data from a database with the dumpspecified option. But I suspect it involves many tables which hold the company data.
If someone accidently removed data from 1 table it is possible to restore the entire backup roll forward ai till just before the table was emptied. You could write a script which restores the data in the production environment or you could dump the deleted data with proutil dumpspecified and load the specific data back into the prodcution database.

But it all depends on what went wrong.

Casper.