[progress News] [progress Openedge Abl] Socket Management And Candy Crush

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Johnson

There have been a lot of changes in hardware in recent years, and it's only by taking advantage of the latest trends that you can truly harness your data. Just ask the makers of Candy Crush.

One of the ways Progress® DataDirect® helps optimize your performance is by paying close attention to programming techniques and hardware trends. We recommend you do the same. There’s been a lot of change in hardware over the past few years. From the number of caches that they have now to how they handle their buffers—all of these things have evolved.

slide-34-v2.jpg

Understanding Socket Management

A TCP/IP socket is used at the lowest level because it’s the last communication channel that we have. TCI/IP lets us communicate with the back-end data source, whether it’s over HTTP to something like Salesforce or Eloqua, or if it’s over just a raw TCP/IP socket behind a firewall from the driver to an Oracle server.​

candycrush9a954a018b8242879fda01593f777cd0.tmb-thumbnail.jpeg
Regardless of whether it’s understanding how to do session management, how to do caching, how to do things like bundling up your requests to make the most out of every socket—those are the kinds of things that need to be handled in the code for the best performance.​

My team and I add this intelligence into our data connectivity software so you can fuel your applications and get a lot of performance as you process the deluge of data that is coming into your company.​

Candy Crush has us Figured Out

Here’s a good use case. If you’ve been on some of our previous webinars, you may have heard us talk about king.com, the author of the Candy Crush video game. Now Candy Crush is highly addictive, and I know a lot of us play it on our iPhones. It’s a real love/hate relationship with that kind of software, right? One of our guys was really addicted to it. He complained about spending money on it, and how they figured out exactly how he plays and when to give him 99-cent-five-extra-moves and a lollipop to bust—you know, busting through to the next piece of candy.

We know the king.com team and we have worked with them to mine their Hadoop on the back end. What’s interesting to me is that I know that they take billions of moves, and they absolutely learn the behaviors of the people that play those games. They even personalize the experience for each individual player.

On one hand it’s a great thing because it adds to the fun, but on the other hand, it makes it highly addictive and scary; sort of Big Brother-ish because they’re mining that data. But they’re definitely doing it, and they’ve created a robust business model out of it.

High Performance Drivers

In order for Candy Crush to process billions and billions of rows, they have to be running software that takes advantage of the latest hardware trends and the latest modern programming techniques. Otherwise they'll never actually get through all of that information in a reasonable enough amount of time to still be able to visualize results and make a difference for their customers.

Our team takes advantage of all of these modern programming techniques to create the fastest, most reliable drivers in the industry. Whether you are retrieving Salesforce data or gaining customer insights like the team at Candy Crush, getting that data quickly and understanding it is essential.

Fastest in the Industry

The drivers my team and I build here at Progress DataDirect are designed to be the fastest in the industry, and we stand behind that claim with award-winning technical support. When you find performance issues in our software, we treat them like defects because we understand how important speed is to your business. You can pick up a free trial today and try it out for yourself, or watch a replay of our Progress webinar, “Industry Insight: Optimizing Your Data for Better Performance” to learn more. Don’t forget to check back for more insights and insider tips from Progress DataDirect!
2304201.gif

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.