Progress / MFG Pro Training Classes

seanloftus

Hey all!

About 3 months ago, we went live with MFG/Pro EB2 with Progress 9.1D. We're operating in both the Desktop 2 and Character interfaces.

I'm starting to assume the role of the systems analyst here and I figure it's time to start learning how to better manipulate our data. My primary desire is to be able to create and edit reports that will integrate into the MFG/Pro environment. I've got very little programming experience, but I'm willing to learn. I figure the best way to go is to start with some introductory class somewhere on how to program in Progress.

I've looked around and from what I've found, there's a company called BravePoint that seems to offer what I think looks like a good start. They offer a Progress Character Development Class and a GUI Development class. In addition, they offer a class on enhancing MFG/Pro for Developers.

I guess my first question would be is it better to learn the Character Development or the GUI Development side of Progress. Or does it matter? What are the strengths and limitations of both?

And then, BravePoint is in Georgia and I'm in Chicago. Does anyone know of a similiar company that offers this same type of training in the Chicago area? Or would it be best to suck it up and fly down to Georgia for a week or two?

Any input is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Sean

dancar

Progress/Mfg Pro Training Classes

Sean,
The best is a two step process. First, being in Chicago, you should head down to the local Progress training center.
Then approach the QAD environment training.
As far as gui vs char; well it mostly depends upon the intended purpose of the application and report. How it will be utilized by the user community and would an advanced gui interface provide ease-of-use or will char/chui serve the purpose just as well.
Another solution is to have on-site consultant training. QAD and Progress both as well as many independents are more than willing to provide it. Get the pocket-book ready in either case.
Cost of doing business.
D.C.