[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE - Setting different environment vars per app

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Jacobs

Hello Steve, The *_setenv.{sh|bat} are extensions to the Tomcat web server startup, and are used to setup a common process environment for the server and all of the ABL & Java web apps it starts. The ABL application code (i.e. the MS-Agent processes) just inherit the Tomcat server's environment, which is why you see them in each ABL application. You would see the same behavior if you deployed multiple Java web apps in the same Tomcat web server - each Java web app sees the same environment. To get a different run-time environment per ABL application it would require adding environment variable settings when each ABL application starts and passing those additions down to the MS-Agent processes as they are dynamically started. That is not currently part of an ABL application startup today. FWIW: My personal workaround was to stop using immutable environment variables and load application properties from the application's conf/ directory that I can change dynamically at run-time. I didn't use a lot of environment variables to begin with, so it was easy for me to find and replace them with property references. That may not be your case. Don't think I solved your issue, but perhaps understanding what PASOE is suppose to be doing eliminates -some- questions.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.