[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: PASOE ACCESS_VIOLATION on WIN32 ... reasonable or unreasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

We are running PASOE 11.7.4 on WIN32. I've had several instances of access violation exceptions that cause the entire _mproapsv to crash and an "protrace" file is written to the ABL application working directory. Below is an example of what the protrace may look like: ===================================================== PROGRESS stack trace as of Mon Jan 14 13:00:00 2019 ===================================================== Progress OpenEdge Release 11.7 build 1685 SP04 on WINNT Startup parameters: -pf C:\Progress\OpenEdge\startup.pf,-cpinternal ISO8859-1,-cpstream ISO8859-1,-cpcoll Basic,-cpcase Basic,-d mdy,-numsep 44,-numdec 46,(end .pf),-logginglevel 3,-logfile C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1/logs/abl_dev_lumbertrack_dev.agent.log,-uburl AppServerDC://0.0.0.0:57439/,-logname abl_dev_lumbertrack_dev,-logentrytypes ASPlumbing,DB.Connects,4GLTrace,-ubpropfile C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\conf\openedge.properties,-ASID 2,-ipver IPv4,-sectok XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,-T C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1/temp,-errorstack,-debugalert,-yx,-q,-Bt 2000,-tmpbsize 8,-db lumbertrack.db,-H ufpdev,-S 5011,-U ufp,-P ******,-ld lumbertrack Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION Fault address: 00007FF7EA4DED71 01:000000000041DD71 C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\_mproapsv.exe ... I am able to figure out the underlying problem in some cases. For example, today a class was missing in the PROPATH directory (both the .cls file and the .r file were missing). This took a lot longer to troubleshoot than it should have; this is because the "ACCESS_VIOLATION" prevents normal error messages from being written to the PASOE agent log. Also, the openclient application receives a error message that is unhelpful (ie. a communication failure between the session-manager and the MS-agent process) . Another inconvenience is the fact that this type of error will cause the crash of the entire ms-agent process along with all the other sessions it may contain at the moment (but it seems like it should only impact a round-trip within a *single* ABL session). Does it sound reasonable that missing code in the PROPATH should cause an ACCESS_VIOLATION? Should it result in the crashing of the entire MS-AGENT? Please let me know if this sounds reasonable. I also tested what happens when a normal "p/r" program is missing and that doesn't behave nearly as badly (it raises a STOP condition, and prints a message ** "MyCool.p" was not found. (293) )

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.