Program Compare in Progress

danielsantos

Hi!

Everyone knows if there is a way to compare two program versions via progress?

I know there is winmerge and others but I want a progress program.

Anyone?

Tks

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
ABL would be a poor choice for this task as string manipulations have never been very speedy.

More important, though, is that it is very easy to do some minor formatting changes and produce a flurry of non-equal results without having made any real semantic change to the program at all.

For that kind of line by line comparison, I like Araxis Merge since it not only has a bunch of options for doing things like ignoring whitespace, but it is one of the few which will do a three way comparison, which is sometimes *really* useful.

But, the right thing to do would be to build something on top of Proparse so that you were comparing syntactic element to syntactic element, not characters on a line.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You can do within your IDE (if that is what you mean with a progress program) if you use OpenEdge Architect.

We use beyond compare, with Appbuilder development and within Eclipse.

Casper.

danielsantos

Hi Casper, Tamhas

I think you two are wright.
It will be hard to do string manipulations in program to compare files.

My IDE progress dont have integration with pluggins but you give me one idea. I will try "beyond compare" command line.

I saw the help and there is lots of possibilities that we can execute to compare files.

So, I'll do a procedure that will make a operation systems execution in beyond compare to find the differences between the files.

I'll try it and post the result

Tks