[Progress News] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Progress’ Mentorship Program: A Journey of Growth and Empowerment

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blogs

A mentorship program can expand your network, elevate your career and provide guidance and support.

As a 30-year-old professional with almost six years of experience in the corporate world, I always thought that daily work tasks and personal development were two separate things. That is, until I started my journey at Progress and learned about the Mentorship Program. I wasn’t sure what exactly a mentorship program was, but I discovered that it can be a transformative experience. Mentorship programs can provide invaluable guidance, support and knowledge to individuals looking to develop their skills and achieve their goals.

In this blog, I will share my personal reflections on what I have learned during my time in a mentorship program and how it has positively impacted my journey.

Career Advancement​

A mentor can provide guidance and advice on career progression, helping their mentee navigate their path effectively. For example, my mentor shared her insights about the IT industry, Progress as a company and what exactly marketing and PR teams do—information I would not have easy access to otherwise. All this knowledge gave me a fresh perspective on different work situations and challenges.

Building Confidence and Self-Belief​

I discovered that one of the most significant benefits of a mentorship program is the boost it gives to your confidence and self-belief. Having someone believe in your abilities and potential can do wonders for overcoming self-doubt and fear of failure. One of my biggest concerns was language—do I speak correctly in front of native English speakers, should I change my tone and intonation, do I express myself appropriately in a corporate environment? My mentor not only supported me but encouraged me to overcome my fears.

Networking and Creating Connections​

The mentorship program also taught me the importance of networking and fostering meaningful connections. Mentors often have well-established networks within their respective fields and are willing to set up meetings. I was introduced to a range of professionals (PR Director, Social Media Manager, Recruitment Marketing Lead and others) and gained their expertise on vital topics within our organization.

The Power of Guidance and Support​

A mentorship program is not all about the mentees. For mentors, these programs provide an opportunity to develop their leadership and coaching skills. It is an ongoing process of growth and development which can lead to a promotion or career change on either side. Honesty between a mentor and mentee is key—each role must learn to accept positive or negative feedback and do their best to contribute more.

Participating in Progress’ Mentorship Program has been an incredible journey of growth, encouragement and self-discovery for me. Through the guidance and support of my mentor, I have gained valuable insights, built confidence, developed new skills and expanded my network. I am now a volunteer for “Drinks with Progress,” an event series where Progressers share their learnings and experiences in fields like software development, quality assurance, product management, UI/UX and more. We aim to host two events every quarter. It feels great to be a part of something that combines my passion for events and sales.

If you have the opportunity to participate in a mentorship program, I encourage you to embrace it. You never know how positively it could affect your career path.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.