Online index to Progress 10.2 DB

RealHeavyDude

That is not entirely correct. Since some OpenEdge version (I am working on OE10.1C) you can add new objects online when checking the corresponding toggle in the data administration tool. These are tables and indexes. But, unless you re-compile the running procedures are not aware of the newly added objects (namely indexes) therefore they can't make use of it. Only dynamics queries are able to benefit.

But, in a sense rzr is right - there is a vast difference between the online schema change capabilities of an OpenEdge database and standard SQL databases.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I believe that online adding of tables, fields and indexes starts with 10.1A.

You can only do online adds by loading a .df file. So Data Dictionary -> Admin -> Load Data and Definitions -> Data Definitions. As RHD indicates there is a checkbox on that screen that makes this possible.

rzr

Sorry, I stand corrected !!
When I launch my Data Admin tool, I get the following message:
---------------------------
Warning (Press HELP to view stack trace)
The following databases are currently in use by running procedures:

db1,db2
Making schema changes to any of these databases at this time will cause
PROGRESS to initiate a session restart causing all unsaved work to be lost.
OK Help

which led me to think that online db changes are not allowed.
But in Load Data Definitions window of Data Admin tool, there is a toggle-box "Add new objects on-line". Never used this option before, so never knew what it actually did.

Cool guys... thank you !!!

RealHeavyDude

You're welcome. I am working with Progress products now for more than 20 years and still I can learn something new every day.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.