Online Backup on V8.3B (Win2000 Server)

Ulf Gieseke

Hi progress comunity;

On steping forward from VMS to Win2000 Server i need a helping hand on getting this 'mess' working. I tried to backup the main DB's from the Server (TCP) on a Client with the probkup-utility - online. But the program does'nt seem to use the TCP-Connection (errno = 2) but looking for a local database-file.
So, it may be a evercoming question, but nevertheless i need a solution because we can't shut down the database only to get a single backup on an all-day-night running system.

If anyone has a suiting solution be invited to answer....

cio, so long, hope the best.... ulf gieseke

mit

Hi,

You can make offline or online backup's using Progress backup util.

You can not however make a Progress backup using -H -S -N (TCP). You can only make a backup on the same host as the database.

Regards
EG Utility A/S
Michael Troelsen

rjilis

Hi;
You can do a backup ONLINE with out shutting DOWN your database and without using parameters like (-S ,-Nor -H)

1- MAP a new drive such as S: to a shared folder on the host where you will get you backup.
2- you can use the commande below in a batch file that can be executed automatically using the Task Scheduler of Windows 2000.
for exemple if we want backup a database called DEMO wich is located in d:\db\demo.db

probkup.bat ONLINE d:\db\demo.db s:\demo

mit

Hi,

Progress uses shared-memory when doing online backup.
(On Unix any way)

When using a shared drive, how can probkup connect to the shared memory on the other host?

Have you tried it?

Kind Regards
EG Utility
Michael Troelsen

rjilis

HI ;

I have specified that is for Windows 2000 server and i try it always and it works very good

I don't know for the Unix i have never use UNIX