NxTrend Newbie

Programmer1977

Hello,
I was recently hired at a small, growing organization that uses Trend. We have never done our own custom programming previously, but we have dire needs to enhance some of the current functionality. I am looking for suggestions on how to go about making custom changes. Did your company buy the source code, do you guys outsource it, or is there api's available to use to get certain data. What is the best strategy, and how do you recommend I get myself up to speed with Trend in the quickest way possible.
Thanks!!!!

mgosdin

Welcome to the wonderful world of Trend!

Most Trend installations don't have the program source code, so you are limited as to what can be modified. There are numerous includes ( NxTrend calls them user hooks. ) that can be used to make changes. You will need NxTrend's Code Workbench in order to make proper use of them.

See if your employer will spring for training for you, it will make your life much easier.

mgosdin

NxTrend's Codeworkbench is a Windows based program that allows you to browse the Trend source code with search and cross-reference capabilities.

It is usually used to spot the includes ( user-hooks ) that you need to modify in order to make the changes you want.

This is a acceptable, but limited, approach to customization. It is not a true substitute for having the source code and thus being able to search in / directly modify code where needed.

Still, you can get a lot done with the user-hooks. Indeed, that is how NxTrend themselves do much of their customization. To their credit, they leave the source code alone as much as possible.

mgosdin

Code Workbench is a stand-alone product. I haven't seen the web based product in action, where is it located on NxTrend's web site?

chfbottlewasher

It is in their customer care center, under products, SXenterprise, SXApi.

I am about to search their website for info on CodeWorkbench. Do you any good places I can find info on it?

Thanks!

mgosdin

GRRRR!

I can't seem to get to it. I just roll back to their customer care default page.

Oh, well.

The Code Workbench program I've used came with our initial Trend installation in '99. I have no doubt that NxTrend has updated this product.