JVM not detected during install

doom1701

I'm installing OE 10.1C 64bit onto a new system (RH4). I've done this seemingly a hundred times with 32bit 10.1B and thought I could do it in my sleep. One of the first things the install used to ask for was the location of my Java install. With this new installation, it just tells me "A JVM has not been detected. Installation of products that require JAVA will not be allowed." And that's pretty much every product we use.

I've got Sun Java installed using an RPM. I first installed the 64bit version of the JVM (v1.6.017--newer than Progress "supports", but I've never had a problem running the newest version before). I thought I read somewhere that I should have the 32bit version of Java instead, so I uninstalled the 64bit version and installed the 32bit version. Same error.

If I add the bin folder for Java to my path, it works fine, but I've never had to do that before. I'm going to go ahead with the install, but I figured I'd ask:

Should I have the 32bit JVM or the 64bit?
Should I have to add it to the path? Is this search (instead of asking for the location) new to 10.1C?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
About the java version you should use:

http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/Group.jsp?bgroup=progress&id=P123612

I found out te same way as you that I had to include java in PATH before I could install. I think that since Progress is using more java within the OpenEdge product it is more essential to have the correct java version for the database to run properly and therefore you must explicitly tell Progress which java version you want to use.

HTH,

Casper.