Index and Key

anandknr

Hi all,

A little confusion here.
1. What is the concept of keys in progress and how it differs from index. (gsdbe.pdf points about both)
2. Do we have any key constraints available (like foriegn key constraint) ?
3. Primary index accepts null value when i tested. (not as per gsdbe.pdf, chapter 1-6)

Regards,
ANand

RealHeavyDude

There are tons of literature on relational database design that can be found ...

• The concept of a key is part of the logical database design and an index is its physical, database specific implementation.
  • On the ABL engine the Progress database does not support constraints.
  • I've never tried to have NULL values in the primary index. I always have a business logic in place that prevents that in the first place - which is, IMHO, good practice as you don't want the user to see standard Progress error messages to which they usually can't relate. Therefore I can't comment on that. If I would need to speculate I would say that, according to documentation, it would be a bug. Other than that I would suggest to defined fields which appear in an index as mandatory.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

GregTomkins

Not that they are a good thing, but IIRC, null values are the one and only way you can achieve duplicate index values within a primary key defined as unique.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If the field is marked as Mandatory, null is not accepted. Some people think that is a bad thing, however.