I'm confused

bilelbeldi617

Hey guys,
So i was told to learn Webspeed, but when i visit the official Progress website and i look for webspeed i can't find anything
So how can i install webspeed?
Does it work with the last version of progress?
What's the diff between webspeed and KendoUI ?
Please help .

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So i was told to learn Webspeed, but when i visit the official Progress website and i look for webspeed i can't find anything
Does it work with the last version of progress?
WebSpeed is basically at the end of its life. As we speak, the current version of OpenEdge is 11.7, though that will change very soon as Progress is about to ship OpenEdge 12.0. That release discontinues support for the "Classic" App Server product and with it, support for WebSpeed which is based on the App Server technology.

Their way forward for applications based on WebSpeed and App Server is that you should migrate them to Progress Application Server for OpenEdge (PASOE). This is Progress' new application server based on Apache Tomcat and Spring Security.

This has all been in the works for a few years now, so you should talk to whoever manages your technology roadmap and ask why you're being asked to learn a technology that is going away, unless it is to provide support for a legacy application for some limited period of time.

So how can i install webspeed?
From a licensing perspective, the runtime for WebSpeed is the same as for App Server. So you need to install a license for either OpenEdge App Server Enterprise or OpenEdge App Server Basic in order to run compiled WebSpeed code. If you want to do WebSpeed development, there is a separate Windows-only product called WebSpeed Workshop that provides the libraries you need to compile WebSpeed code.

There is lots of WebSpeed information in the OpenEdge documentation set and in the OpenEdge Knowledge Base.

What's the diff between webspeed and KendoUI ?
I don't work with KendoUI so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else can.

bilelbeldi617

WebSpeed is basically at the end of its life. As we speak, the current version of OpenEdge is 11.7, though that will change very soon as Progress is about to ship OpenEdge 12.0. That release discontinues support for the "Classic" App Server product and with it, support for WebSpeed which is based on the App Server technology.

Their way forward for applications based on WebSpeed and App Server is that you should migrate them to Progress Application Server for OpenEdge (PASOE). This is Progress' new application server based on Apache Tomcat and Spring Security.

This has all been in the works for a few years now, so you should talk to whoever manages your technology roadmap and ask why you're being asked to learn a technology that is going away, unless it is to provide support for a legacy application for some limited period of time.

From a licensing perspective, the runtime for WebSpeed is the same as for App Server. So you need to install a license for either OpenEdge App Server Enterprise or OpenEdge App Server Basic in order to run compiled WebSpeed code. If you want to do WebSpeed development, there is a separate Windows-only product called WebSpeed Workshop that provides the libraries you need to compile WebSpeed code.

There is lots of WebSpeed information in the OpenEdge documentation set and in the OpenEdge Knowledge Base.

I don't work with KendoUI so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else can.
Thanks again Rob !