.i files - NEED HELP

nate100

Are i files compiled to make them into .r files or are they not turned into anything. For example, .p files are turned into .r when compiled.
Is the same true for .i fiiles..

bulklodd

nope, it's not true. i-file is include file which includes into p-files during compilation. there's no need to worry about them.

DevTeam

You can see the "real" shape of your .p by making a "COMPILE myProg.p PREPROCESS SAVE INTO myFile.txt" and editing myFile.txt.

flybird

Great,

But i like to made some changes on the existing .i file.
I compiled the .p which calls the .i that i modified.When i run the .p file and i do not see the change i made on .i file.

So how could i change .i and make it work?

Thanks,

DevTeam

Mmh, kind of strange ! :confused:

I don't know how you develop, but it happens that, if you have already run your .p before changing the .i file, your development session may still have it in memory. So try to quit and restart your IDE and run your .p again, it may work then.

Greetings,

With how progress / openedge works:
The compiler can NOT run source code (*.w/*.p), it only runs compiled code (rcode).
In the original source code *.w/*.p, the file size can be reduced / other folk can work on different parts, without effecting the rest of the source. This is achieved with the include file mechanism (*.i). At compile time, the source is compiled. Where an include file is referenced, Progress bimbles off down the propath to compile the instruction referenced in the include file.
Progress Can actually be running instruction, and then generate rcode instruction (executable instructions). This process is called compile on the fly.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Also, check for -q parameter. If you have changed the .i, but not the .p, the datetime stamp on the .p is the same as it was originally. You can try touching the .p.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Just a warning:
Most times .i is used in more then 1 file. So if you change an include make sure you compile the other sources (if any) as well.

Concerning not seeing changes you made all suggestions have already been given:
  1. is changed .i in propath (check with compile preprocess)
  2. is the compiled .p in the propath
  3. do you have -q as a client startup parameter
Casper.

sphipp

If I want to make sure that the changes I have made in a .i file are being used, I put a MESSAGE "Inside something.i" VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX command at the start of the .i file just so I can be sure it is being used correctly.

Check where the .i file is. Try DISPLAY SEARCH ("something.i") FORM "X(70)" to see where the .i file actually is. I'm guessing that you have 2 copies of the .i file, one in a program directory and one somewhere else in the PROPATH, so the program is refering to the other .i file.

Also, if you are calling the .p from another program and you are using compiled code, you will need to compile the .p before you call it.

By the way, you can compile a .i file and the compiled file is a .r file. There's no reason to do it, though. It can cause problems if you have something.p that has something.i as an include file and you compile something.p and something.i - you overwrite something.r with the compiled include file, which can be annoying.