Question How to implement rfc 2047 for mail sending per smtp?

Dragon13

Hello to everyone!
I am quite new to development with Progress ABL and want to ask for help. Has somebody already programmed some implementation of rfc 2047 Standard with Progress?
Any help (documentation, links to Blogs or Forums, some code) is very appreciated!

Best regards,
Dmitry

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You might like to search the site for "smtpmail". There are many posts which will point you towards solutions.

Dragon13

Thank you very much for the quick answers. They helped me to understand the Basics of sending an email per SMTP using Progress. However, as I wrote in my question the Goal is to implement the rfc 2047 standard with Progress (Version 10.2B to be sure). We have already a Progress procedure, which performs sending of email per smtp using base64 Encoding and i want to expand this procedure with Features of rfc 2047.

TheMadDBA

You are going to have to get much more specific about which part or parts of RFC 2047 you are having issues with. The spec is quite broad and you need to clearly state what smtpmail doesn't do that you want it to do....

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
I'm going to take a guess and say you are wanting to translate/convert ASCII header into a MIME header?? Converting non-ASCII characters into HEX encoded or Base64 encoded.

So this:
Code:
To: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>
CC: André Pirard <PIRARD@vm1.ulg.ac.be>
Subject: If you can read this you understand the example.

will become this:

Code:
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Keld_J=F8rn_Simonsen?= <keld@dkuug.dk>
CC: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= Pirard <PIRARD@vm1.ulg.ac.be>
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?B?SWYgeW91IGNhbiByZWFkIHRoaXMgeW8=?=
=?ISO-8859-2?B?dSB1bmRlcnN0YW5kIHRoZSBleGFtcGxlLg==?=

Last edited:

Dragon13

Hello guys, after couple of days :) I have finally figured it out. Cecil guessed right I needed to convert a Message Header with non-ASCII characters into a MIME Header using hex and base64 Encodings. Thanks again for your answers, you helped me a lot!

Dragon13

There are though two Things, which are still not 100% clear for me:
  1. is there a mapping between charsets/Codepages used by Progress and charsets used "universally" in "Content-Type" Definition of MIME?
  2. is there a list of charset names (or may be aliases), which are supported by all or majority of existing agents?