HLC executable contains Progress object code?

sgeunes

question for anyone out there familiar with building an HLC executable...

in chapter 2, sec. 2.2 of the Progress External Program Interface for Version 8, there a figure (2-1) that shows Progress Object files being linked into the build of an HLC executable.

Why in the world would you include Progress Object Code in the HLC exectuable? wouldn't you just include C code and the dispatch routine and then run the created executable ... which will bring up a progress session from which you can run your progress object code? I can't figure out why they mention including progress object code in the executable.

After this fig, they give 4 steps to build an executable. step 4 again mentions including progress object code in the link script to build the executable. anyone out there that can explain this?

tia,
shane.

NickA

Hope this is relevant/helps...

HLC has been around for a _very_ long time. You'd probably be better advised to go the shared libraries/DLL route (A topic covered in the same manual).

HLC is a means of building a modified Progress client/server executable with your own 'C' code included. You then use the resulting executable as your client/server and can make calls to your C code from within the 4GL.

The HLC library functions are very basic, mainly revolving around the reading/writing of data to and from shared variables or buffers.

sgeunes

thanks for the response nick.
i wanted to use unix shared libraries, but my client have V8.3B and unix shared libraries aren't supported by progress until V9.1A. by the way, i got an answer to my original question ...
the progress object code that the EPI book speaks of is not object code created by the coder. it is simply refering to the progress kernel engine code that is wrapped up in the HLC executable when you use the script to create a running progress program. long story short, it's a bit misleading, but the progress object code is nothing the programmer has to worry about.