Hard drive partition of Server

Dear All,

Is there any advantage/dis advantage , if I install Progress and Applications in a single partitioned Hard drive (Only C- Drive) ?

Or in another way - Is there any advantage if I install the progress and application in the D-drive of my server(Not the OS Drive). OS is Windows Server 2003.

Any KBs , white papers explaining this ?

Regards
Philip P Oommen

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
More stuff on a drive means more contention for it's IO operations. That, in turn, means poorer performance.

Since you're talking about Windows (C and D "drives") it may be even worse as those are often mere partitions rather than actual drives.

But... if you're just configuring a client and application code it probably doesn't make much of a difference. The IO load is usually fairly low for those components.

If OTOH database performance is important then you want the best possible IO capability. Size of the drive(s) is irrelevant (as long as it is at least big enough to hold the data). MB per second is poorly correlated to OLTP database performance (MB/sec is useful when doing large contiguous IO ops -- like streaming video...). Relational databases perform random IO in small chunks. Random IO needs IO ops per second. Very low seek times and striped disks are what you want. RAID5 is poison to DB write performance. RAID10 is ideal.