General Question..

Manu

Hai All!

Is AppBuilder of Progress must for building n tier applications in Progress environment?

We have licences for 4GL and Workgroup database ..Cann we build n- tier applications using the products and tools provided by above 2 licences?
if not please state whether Do we need to acquire separate llicence for using AppBuilder?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Rgds
Manohar

jongpau

Hi Manohar,

I think you are in the wrong area of ProgressTalk with this question.... it would be better to post in "General Progress Development" instead of "SQL-92".

That said, back to my answer to your question:
You'll probably also need to get AppServer licences to test and use the n-tier application you are building. As far as I know those are not included in any of the products you mentioned, but I am not 100% up to speed with the latest and greatest in licensing.

About n-tier development in itself:
- You can develop n-tier apps in the Procedure Editor (all the AppBuilder does is generate 4GL), but I personally think that using the more "visual" AppBuilder is a lot easier (and faster), especially when you are doing UI work.

Unrelated to n-trier itself:
- Without the AppBuilder you cannot develop applications that use Smart Objects - that is, if you want to use those.

- If you are developing for a Windows platform, the AppBuilder allows you to include all sorts of nifty things using OCX controls in your UI (TreeViews, Tab Folders, etc etc). As far as I know you cannot do this by just using the Editor (when you use OCX controls the AppBuilder also generates a binary file that is required to load, use and manage the controls).

I have probably forgotten to mention one or more things, but hope this helps anyway.