Forum Post: RE: Clustering and Load balancing in OE RDBMS (RH Linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkowalewski

I asked several times about failover cluster support in RHEL during EMEA PUG challenge BOF sessions but everytime they (Progress fellows) seem to be surprised and they look at me like I was on another planet. Four/five years ago I also send question about cluster to the PEGgers, but no luck to see any answer. In 2010 I made some successful tests on AIX (HACMP) and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (MSCS). I tried also with Red Hat Cluster Suite in the unsupported way and the results were quite good. OE database is not cluster aware. We used rc.d script to let RHCS to control database. The only big challenge was to write appropriate rc.d script with start|stop|monitor cases and exact return values. After some tests the only implementation differences between supported & unsupported CMs I'd noticed is that procluster "exposes" database resources to the CM and do some changes in master block of db, so it is cluster aware. I'm using killall -9 _mprosrv in rc.d script to stop resource, but it's not recommended. Process of relocating works fine. The worse scenario is when active node hangs, then second node cannot start db due to hostname entry in lock file. In my opinion if the RHEL is certified for OE, the RH Cluster Suite should also be certified cluster manager for OE. In database environment the failover cluster is a basic method to increase reliability and safety and I'm wondering why it is so neglected by PSC.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.