Forum Post: RE: AI, BI, DB, SAN and Heresy

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pfred

Thanks Gus – I wasn’t trying to be too picky :*) Just was trying to say that overall system performance continues to escalate so we need to periodically challenge some of previous beliefs and actions in light of significant system throughput improvements. Going back to Paul’s question the above statement makes me sound like a heretic? Egad! I guess we should also take into account Wirth’s Law (TGMLC – The Great Moore’s law compensator) ‘the principle that successive generations of computer software acquire enough bloat to offset the performance gains predicted by Moore’s law’ [Wikipedia] From: gus [mailto:bounce-gus@community.progress.com] Sent: Thursday, 13 March 2014 11:42 PM To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com Subject: RE: AI, BI, DB, SAN and Heresy RE: AI, BI, DB, SAN and Heresy Reply by gus @pfred: storage does not follow Moore's Law. SSD might, i suppose, but i haven't seen any data. disk density increases about 100x per decade. access speeds not so much. Stop receiving emails on this subject. Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.