Finding when a record was created

03jh01

Hi everyone,

Is there any facility in progress that will allow me to know when a particular record was created (the time of creation)?

There is this one record in our database that I know must have been created on 27/06/11. However, it would be helpful if I could find out exactly what time on that date the record was created. The table uses a sequence as the primary key.

Is there anyway to find out at what time this record was created?

Thanks for your time,
Jason.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you had auditing enabled, you would have an answer. If you had do it yourself auditing, i.e., put user-id and date in a record when created or some such, then you would have an answer. Without that, no.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The short answer: there is no attribute of a record that records its creation time.

The longer answer:

It depends a bit on how badly you want to know ;)

If you have after-imaging enabled you could restore your June 26th backup to a temp location and then roll forward. Use a -RO connection to query the db for the mystery record (or watch the sequence numbers).

Once you know which extent it is in you could go through a series of point in time recoveries to get as close as you have patience for.

03jh01

Thank you very much for your help both of you! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to extract the created time, but I have learnt something for the future! It wasn't a life or death thing luckily. It would have just been very helpful, that's all :)

Thanks,
Jason.