db Password.... HELP!!!

jkurz

Alright, here is my situation. My company recently started supporting a company who runs their ERP software on a progress db. The old support company changed the default (sysprogress) username and PW for the db. We are needing to establish an ODBC accessing the progress tables using the Merant driver, and the connection string keeps failing. How can we get past this or reset the default settings?

Please any information would be a huge help!

Thanks
Jon

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
My company recently started supporting a company who runs their ERP software on a progress db. The old support company changed the default (sysprogress) username and PW for the db.

You mean the company that changed the pw and login isn't supporting your customer anymore, but still has the ability to change things?

If you both support this customer then I think best is to make some agreements on this.

But anyway:
Depending on security you can delete sysprogress through the
the datadictionary and create a new one. You just need to have the login and pw from a normal 4GL user.
If you have a full development progress license then yo could also do this with 4GL.

I think one should use sysprogress for nothing else then initial SQL access. After this is taken care of sysprogress should not be used.

Casper

jkurz

Unfortunately, the company that changed all the default settings among other things left no notes, and they do not support the company in question.

Thanks Casper for your input!

-Jon

taqvia

You can use the below snippet to reset the password for any _user table.
def buffer altuser for _user.
FIND FIRST _User WHERE _User._UserId = "xxx" EXCLUSIVE-LOCK NO-ERROR.
IF AVAILABLE (_User) THEN DO:
BUFFER-COPY _User EXCEPT _User._Password TO altuser .
ASSIGN
altuser._Password = "xxxxxx".
DELETE _User.
CREATE _User.
BUFFER-COPY altuser TO _User.
END.

Arshad

cmoconsulting

taqvia - I tried what you posted and it did not work. When i go to the data admin and go to security I get this error. You may not use this function with a blank user id. Can you please help with this issue?

Thanks

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you do a for each _user, is there anything there?

If not, then you are not using the _user table for security and no password has been changed since one was never set.

Have you tried accessing the database using the user id of the user who created the database (often root) and no password?

See http://www.oehive.org/node/954 about setting up user ids and passwords for SQL, but you first need to figure out whether creating _user records is going to goof up your regular access to the system.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You might want to try picking up the phone and asking the previous support people what the password is.

jkurz

Yea, If that were the case I would not be here asking the questions.

The old company kind of just vanished.

Thanks for everyones input, we did a successful Dump and load.