Connecting remote progress DB's

Hi All

I have two server S1 and S2 and 4 progress DB's where 2 Db's residing in each server. I have updated the services and hostname under etc/services and etc/hosts file for the remote servers.

Now I am using two progress DB's in server S1 and working fine, but i want to connect to other two DB's which are residing in S2 from Server S1 using the same progress editor but not able to connect the same

We have used CONNECT statement and have given all required parameters but not able to connect to other 2 db's residing in server S2.

Could any one please help me on this

Thanks

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You might try posting the actual CONNECT statements used and the full error messages received.

It would also, of course, be helpful to know what version of Progress is in play and what OS you are using.

Since nothing specific is known my first wild guess would be that there is a firewall on S2 blocking access. One way to test that is to try connecting to S2 using telnet. I.e.:

telnet S2 portnum

GregTomkins

I hate questions that are so lacking in basic information. "I have a problem, please help!". Of course, *I* _never_ do that ....

Anyhow, my wild guess is that the databases have the same name and you need to use the -ld parameter to specify a unique name for the S2 versions.

ManfredB

Maybe the DB´s on S2 have the same name as this on S1.
Then you must give an loadname for this DB´s that are different to this on S1 (-ld dbname).

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Wow the room this forum's in must be huge! That echo took almost 5 days!! ;)

GregTomkins

Hey what's with this new "Rep Power" thing? How did Tom Bascom get such an magnificent one? My self-esteem is shattered now! Tom is 12+ times the Progress Developer I am !!

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments,

I am using Progress 10.A and linux OS. As I have specified in the post I have connected to two db's in server S1. The application is running in server S1. We have progress start up scripts only for two db's in server S1 and connected to the same using those startup scripts. Now i need to connect to other two customized db's which are there in server S2, so that through server S1(Progress Editor of S1) i will be connected to 4 db's. I have used CONNECT statement with all logical db names and -H parameters to connect to other 2 db's of server S2, but no luck. I request somebody to help me on this issue.

LarryD

As Tom mentioned above, if you really want some help why don't you post your scripts and the CONNECT statements you are trying. What errors are you seeing? The details do matter... otherwise, any replies you receive are likely nothing more than SWAG.

Also, I don't really understand how you can have the same startup scripts for both the proserve and the users doing the connect... the parameters are not all the same for db startup and user startup.