Clearing out .lg file online?

maday15

I am running progress 10.0B on an AIX server, and I would like to know if there is a way to clear out the .lg file while the database is online? I know in 10.1A you can truncate it, but as far as I know the only way for 10.0B is to bring down the database. We have tested the following
"cp /dev/null <dbname>.lg" this command copies a null file to the .lg file and basically wipes it out, I know it isn't supported by progress but I also know it works on a test system with a couple of users, I just don't know if I want to actually use it on a production database. This is not something that we would do on a regular basis, it would be in case of emergency. We recently had a problem with the .lg file growing very large very quickly due to error messages and had to shut down the database to start fresh. We are working on the cause of the errors with progress but are afraid this problem might recur before progress gets us a solution.

Thanks.

taqvia

Well we do truncate our log file while db is online in live environment without any issue.

LOGFILE=db.lg
LINES_TO_KEEP=1000
/bin/tail -${LINES_TO_KEEP} ${LOGFILE} > ${LOGFILE}.old
/bin/cat /dev/null > $LOGFILE

Arshad

AchSpec

Make a copy like .lg > old.lg
then use $prolog <db> -online
(works with 10.1B on AIX)

Sorry, thats not going to work for 10.0. =(