blog @ oehive

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I'm glad that you are finding OE Hive useful, but you should recognize that it is generally considered bad netiquette to engage in blantant self-promotion on professional forums. On the PEG, it would get you thrown off the list. We are more lenient on OE Hive, as long as you keep to the appropriate category, but you should think about the image which you are projecting.

If someone poses a problem to which you think you have a good solution, then telling them a little about your solution and providing them with the links to find out more is generally considered just fine. Likewise, asking questions which happen to reveal that you have a product in a particular area is fine, as long as it is a legitimate and appropriate question. But, posting what amounts to advertising is likely to be creating a negative reaction in your readers, which is probably not what you have in mind.

There are some good ways to achieve this effect. I remember in particular a white paper produced by Forté 15 or so years ago which was a discussion of the issues and pros and cons of various approaches to distributed computing. To this day, it is an excellant short discussion of the topic and, of course, it includes references to the Forté product of the time as an exemplar of a superior approach, but the writing comes across as educational, not advertizing.

I'm glad that you are finding OE Hive useful, but you should recognize that it is generally considered bad netiquette to engage in blantant self-promotion on professional forums. On the PEG, it would get you thrown off the list. ... posting what amounts to advertising is likely to be creating a negative reaction in your readers, which is probably not what you have in mind.

The irritating habit that several Peg regulars (including yourself) have of filling half of every post up with long-winded 'employ me' lists of contact points is a notable exception to this tradition.