Admin Server Issues - OpenEdge 10.2B

Zett

Hi all,

I need help with this one. I have a laptop (Windows 7 - 32bit) and had to re-do the progress installation (v10.2B). All installs fine and installed the 04 service pack without any issues.
When I re-booted the machine, I checked that the Admin Server was running in the services. If I start the progress explorer tool, create a new server (localhost), and click the connect option I get the following error: "Unable to connect to Admin Server. Ensure Admin Server is running. (8336)".

If I run the -query via the command prompt "%DLC%\bin\proadsv -query", I only get the header "OpenEdge Release 10.2B04 as of Tues Mar 8 19:27:59 EST 2011". The same for the -stop and -start commands.

I had Progress 9.1d on the machine as well, but I uninstalled that before I re-installed 10.2B.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Look in the WRK directory -- there should be some logs in there.

My guess is that there is also a lock file hanging around in WRK -- this happens from time to time and it prevents the admin server from running in just the mysterious manner that you describe.

Zett

Thanks Tom, but that didn't work. I uninstalled all forms of Progress on the machine and made sure to delete any progress directories (install and working dir). Re-installed and made sure that before I re-booted that the Admin Server was changed from an Automatic startup to manual. Rebooted the machine and when it was up again, tried to do a -query from the command prompt. Got the following:

Untitled.jpg

I get the same for the -start command.

RealHeavyDude

There is something else that might interfere: Maybe it is an access right issue.

Whenever services get installed on Windows, per default, they run under the localSystem account - which might or might not be a good thing as Windows is very particular as to who has access to processes running under the localSystem account. I recommend to run the AdminService under a user with Administrator privileges.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Stefan

Also be sure to check your environment variables - you may have environment variables pointing to your old 9.1D installation. DLC and friends should never be set there.