Question ABL Wordle Application

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
I'm developing a Wordle'esk application and it's been developed into a single .w file. The wordle dictionary words are compressed (10kb) and embedded into the .w file.
I'm using some custom colours and font(s) and I want to programmatically update/set the Progress' colour and font set. I know that I can do this via the GET-KEY-VALUE and PUT-KEY-VALUE methods, but how can I be sure that I'm not overwriting existing colour and font sets?

I'm planning to give this Wordle App for free (via GitHub) so that developers can embed an "Easter Egg" into their applications.

1704405041184.png

Last edited:

Stefan

Nice and ouch, I would not want to be trampling over another application's fonts and colors. Develop it as a single .Net GUI .cls file instead?

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Nice and ouch, I would not want to be trampling over another application's fonts and colors. Develop it as a single .Net GUI .cls file instead?
Yeah. The Font and color are the things that are holding me back.

I was thinking I could have developed a .NET GUI class object. But, my ABL skills were more proficient.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Gosh. It's been a while. But I believe you can set fonts and colours at runtime, and I believe you can check what values are set, if any. The big issue I have is I can't for the life of me remember how!

Cringer

Staff member
When I've done games dev in the past in OE I've ended up using images and overlaying them on buttons rather than faffing around with fonts and colours.

Cringer

Staff member
@Cecil here's a simple Battleships game I wrote in ABL using dynamic widgets and images as I found that worked better than manipulating the colours like I said earlier.

Attachments

• SinkEm.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 8

Stefan

Although this hard-coded imagepath sucks:

Code:
&SCOPED-DEFINE ImagePath   "C:\Users\jdpja\OneDrive\Work Stuff\Saved Stuff\images\":U

Cringer

Staff member
Although this hard-coded imagepath sucks:

Code:
&SCOPED-DEFINE ImagePath   "C:\Users\jdpja\OneDrive\Work Stuff\Saved Stuff\images\":U
Yeah there was a reason for that many years ago that I no longer remember. Easy enough to fix ;)